To all:

1rst question is: Who do your customers think write the packages they
are using in RH?  Comment 1:  It isn't Red Hat (well a few are..but only
a few).

2nd question is: How do you explain the price benefits?  Comment 2: You
shouldn't be telling anyone that Red Hat is actually fixing all of
bugs....if you are, and I'm not saying  you are.  But, I am making a
point.  Red Hat, at the end of the day, is still based on open source.
Red Hat only helps along the development and only maintains packages
they wrote with the exception of a few programs.

3rd question is: What is wrong with third party consultants for support?
Comment 3: Most companies use 3rd party consultants for support for
other operating systems.  Even in the case of Windows.  Rarely do
companies actually have to go directly to MS.  Most of the time there is
either an in house admin or a 3rd party consultant who is used as
needed.  Same case for Sun or IBM OS and machines.

Remember most of the applications with Red Hat are not supported by RH.
Only the RH packages.  Sure, they give you RPMs, but I'm sure we'll
always be able to get out hands on these.  Just won't be able to use
auto-update.  Still compare this with MS licensing and especially 2003
Server.  You won't come out ahead.  Do you use Open Office or Star
Office?  Do you use any other free software?  If so, how much have you
contributed to it?  Red Hat generally contributes to many of their
incorporated packages.  Bug fixes and the like, but they are not the
first line of defense.  The project developers are.

Currently RH isn't approaching the cost of Windows.  You need to compare
Windows Advanced Server to Red Hat Advanced then figure in 10 hours of
MS support a year.  You'll pay as much for those 10 hours as you will
for Enterprise RH software and support all together.  RH Advanced can
use multi-procs.  If you need more than 4 procs you need Windows
Advanced Server, however, most "small" businesses can use Fedora and run
without a hitch.  Who needs multi-processors is the question.  Also,
don't use beta releases.  Use a release.  Look at how many users are on
FreeBSD and Slackware.  They run fine.

Red Hat will have developers working on Fedora.  This way they have
their people and open source programmers working together.  It's a good
thing.  If you need multi procs and what not....then buy the Advanced or
Enterprise (Enterprise will handle 2).  You won't beat that price with
Microsoft.  Not at this moment anyways.  Maybe if they reduce their
prices.  Home XP Pro (not a server) costs as much as the prices flying
around in here (for a work station).

The argument dealing with RHN.  I think Fedora could have it's on FHN or
something.  I also believe that Red Hat could sell some support packages
for this.  Maybe have some good third party companies they endorse,
which means if they endorse them there had better be a reason other than
because they are willing to do it.  I would hope so anyways.

As far as the argument for a small business having to have something
like Enterprise.  I don't think this is the case.  I think businesses
think they can charge for their products, but get off scott free with
the software and infrastucture costs, and their tech departments still
want to have someone to point fingers at (what tech department there
is).  Corporations seem to be following suit as well.  That's just not
feasible.  What is wrong with using WS?  You can download the system,
and you have a RHN subscription for $199.00.  This is of course if
Fedora isn't your pot of tea.  You can always pay a system admin if you
need support.  The price of the system is the price of your support.  MS
support isn't free nor cheap.  Try to purchase 2 hours worth, and tell
me what you could have for that price.  ;-)

The real point is being missed here.  The open source products have an
edge many of us like because of that fact.  Open Source.  We trust
developers in groups as they are to provide something they are proud of.
Many of these projects finance themselves with support contracts.  Which
I think is awesome.  Many of these developers make a name for themselves
this way.  So, they are not going to make bad software.  Also just to
note, every Linux distro uses open source software bundled together.
The support you get from RH will eventually come from developers at
projects. Pay or don't pay, you'll still come out cheaper than an MS
solution, and you'll not be getting any letters in the mail from Red Hat
explaining to you why they have an auditor coming to examine your
infrastructure for license infringments either. Whether you have them or
not.  That's MS and Borland style.

Just remember 10 hours of MS support will cost you over 800.00 US.

Wade