On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 15:30:54 -0400
"Buck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My sentiments exactly.
>
> But add this.  If I can support the product, I get a customer.  Along
> with that, I would purchase a boxed edition for the customer to put on
> his shelf, and at least a minimal support package so I can call for help
> should I need it.  I think it would be great if the Server package were
> available with a basic installation and configuration guide and 2 months
> of up2date included for $100.00;  Additional support packages for $100
> per hour/incident -- prepaid gets priority support; and for $50-75, a
> years Up2date extension.  For less than the price of a Microsoft server,
> I could sell them installation and support their server for a year.
> Better bargain than MS.

Maybe that's the ticket.   A boxed set of Enterprise with 1 month up2date.
Could be a way to amortize the cost of their boxed set production across
more offerings?

Perhaps RedHat could start a VAR program.   Might be an option to reduce
the costs, and service the low end.

RedHat has to be careful that they don't drain their resources or hurt
their sales of Enterprise.   There's obviously a niche below Enterprise,
the question is, can RedHat make a profit servicing it.  Will be
interesting to see if they make some offering and what the mix is if
they do.

Sean.