Howdy,

        I have a 7.3 server running Apache, PHP, MySQL, and WU-FTP. I of course
keep all of those packages updated since I have to have most of the ports
open in the firewall to use them. However, I have not upgrade the kernel
since the install about a year ago. It is version 2.4.18-3. I have three
questions, #1 How important is it to keep the kernel updated, I could
imagine maybe I have just gotten lucky but the machine has been wonderful up
to date. #2 How big of risk do I run upgrading the kernel, is there a good
chance that I could hose the machine, or is it as easy as running rpm -Fvh
kernel.rpm? #3 When I run rpm -qa | grep kernel it only returns
kernel-2.4.18-3, when I look at the available kernel updates I find
kernel-BOOT-2.4.20-20.7.i386.rpm and kernel-source-2.4.20-20.7.i386.rpm as
well...my practice in the past has always been to only install updated
packages for what I already have on the machine...excuse my ignorance but I
am extremely new to the linux world, and have heard so many horror stories
about kernel updates...any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Billy K.

---
[This E-mail was scanned for viruses by QuestNet.net (http://www.QuestNet.net)]