On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 12:18:46 -0400
"Billy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>       I have a 7.3 server running Apache, PHP, MySQL, and WU-FTP. I of
> course keep all of those packages updated since I have to have most of
> the ports open in the firewall to use them. However, I have not upgrade
> the kernel since the install about a year ago. It is version 2.4.18-3. I
> have three questions, #1 How important is it to keep the kernel updated,
> I could imagine maybe I have just gotten lucky but the machine has been
> wonderful up to date. #2 How big of risk do I run upgrading the kernel,
> is there a good chance that I could hose the machine, or is it as easy
> as running rpm-Fvh kernel.rpm? #3 When I run rpm -qa | grep kernel it
> only returns kernel-2.4.18-3, when I look at the available kernel
> updates I find kernel-BOOT-2.4.20-20.7.i386.rpm and
> kernel-source-2.4.20-20.7.i386.rpm as well...my practice in the past has
> always been to only install updated packages for what I already have on
> the machine...excuse my ignorance but I am extremely new to the linux
> world, and have heard so many horror stories about kernel updates...any
> input would be greatly appreciated!!

Hey Bill,

It is quite probable that there have been security related updates to the
kernel that would be relevant to your environment.   You have to decide
for yourself how important that makes it for you to upgrade.  Obviously
there is no other reason to upgrade as you're content with the way the
system is operating.

If you do choose to upgrade your kernel i'd suggest _adding_ the new
kernel but not removing your existing kernel:

rpm -ivh kernel_new_zzz.rpm

This will give you a way to retreat if there are any problems with the new
kernel.  You _dont_ want to use the BOOT kernel, that's pretty much just
for installation media like CD's.  And you probably don't have any reason
to install the kernel-source package.

HTH,
Sean.