On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Billy wrote:

snip...

> Then on the other hand, if I install the newkernel.rpm and something isn't
> working right could reboot into the old kernel and run rpm -e newkernel.rpm?
> Is there a chance that after the kernel has been updated that the machine
> will not boot at all, or as long as I have the old kernel I can always boot
> with that? And finally *if* I go ahead with this am I crazy to do this
> remotely over SSH?
>
> Thanks a million!!
>
> Billy

Actually, you don't do an "rpm -e newkernel.rpm".  That doesn't work
(putting the .rpm on the end).  Try an "rpm -q kernel" to find out which
kernel rpm's you have installed.  Once you decide which ones you want to
remove do an

"rpm -e kernel-2.4.20-19.9"

for example.  That will remove kernel-2.4.20-19.9.  It takes it out of
grub as well as from the disk.

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer