> > will installing the mew kernel with rpm -ivh kernel_new_zzz.rpm
> > (a) add the new kernel image to my boot loader (in this case GRUB)
> > (b) keep the entry for the old kernel in my boot loader
> >
> > I don't know of any other way to be able to "retreat" if for some reason
> > the new kernel does not boot...
> >

> Hi Jason
>
> Yes to both questions.

Thanks for the advice Sean...I am going to research the kernel updates some
more and evaluate the upgrade. I do have a question about the kernel and
being able to retreat. If I install the newkernel.rpm with rpm -ivh it will
install, and running in conjunction with the old kernel? So once I reboot by
default it will load the newest kernel? Then once I let it run for a couple
days and everything seems fine I could safely run rpm -e oldkernel.rpm to
remove the old?

Then on the other hand, if I install the newkernel.rpm and something isn't
working right could reboot into the old kernel and run rpm -e newkernel.rpm?
Is there a chance that after the kernel has been updated that the machine
will not boot at all, or as long as I have the old kernel I can always boot
with that? And finally *if* I go ahead with this am I crazy to do this
remotely over SSH?

Thanks a million!!

Billy

---