dr> I have a new RH 5.0 system going and am running xemacs 20.4.
dr> In vm vm-get-new-mail is not getting new mail from spool.  I am
dr> getting no error message just "No new mail".  I tried changing
dr> vm-spool-files to (setq vm-spool-files   '("~/temp/mbox") ) and doing

dr> chmod 777 ~/temp
dr> chmod 777 ~/temp/mbox

dr> but I still get the "No new mail" message.  ~/temp/mbox does have mail
dr> in it that can be read with pine or mail. I have tried some
dr> suggestions I read about changing group of movemail to mail, but that
dr> hasn't helped.  I also reinstalled vm but that didn't help.  If you
dr> have any suggestions please help.  Thanks.

First is your mail being spooled by something like fetchmail already
to the mailbox /tmp/mbox ? If not try something like:

(setq vm-spool-files '("/var/spool/mail/LOGINNAME"
"ISP.DOMAIN:110:pass:LOGINNAME:PASSWORD"))

Of course change:
First LOGINNAME to your local loginname
ISP.DOMAIN to your ISP
Second LOGINNAME to your ISP loginname

This will use POP that is built into VM to retrieve your mail.

--
Curtis Consulting
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]