The mouse predates the Star by quite a bit.  It was first demo'd
by Douglas Engelbar in 1968 ( nice little essay can be found
at http://www.salon.com/bc/1998/12/15bc2.html ).

As for Apple and Xerox, on page 341 of _Just_Java_ by Peter van der
Linden there is an interesting piece call "Did Apple Copy Xerox?"
The gist of it is that Jef Raskin started the Mac project at Apple
in 1979, long before Steve Jobs visited PARC.

--
Rob Saul | standard disclaimers apply