Gustav Schaffter wrote:

> Do you consider SmallTalk being an OS?

As you'd see it today,no.  But it seems I recall someone from Xerox Parc
coming to Bell Labs around 1981 to talk about their new Star 8010,
and stressing the fact that they'd designed SmallTalk to be an integrated
environment.  You could write code, and have it immediately incorporated
in the running OS.  I believe he referred to the "SmallTalk operating
environment", and I don't recall his ever referring to the OS in any other
way.

Cheers,
--
        Dave Ihnat