There appears to be a copy and truncate functions that never acually
closes or deletes the file.  The man page talks about it being there for
programs that cannot be restarted.  That is what prompted my question.
I have not had a chance to try it yet though.  Probably try to get to it
next week.

I was wondering how the file handle thing worked.  I deleted the file
and it did disappear from ls but the shell the jre was running in did
not crash and I am wondering why not.  Makes sense if the file is not
really gone and the shell is still writing to it.  Any ideas how to tell
what file handles a program has via the OS?

Bret

Steve Borho wrote:

> >From what I understand, logrotate depends on the ability to either restart
> the daemon writing to the file, or being able to send it a signal to tell
> it to re-open it's file handles.
>
> The way Unix works is if a process is writing to a file, even if you delete
> it, the file doesn't go away until the process closes the file.
>
> --
> Steve Borho                       Voice:  314-615-6349
> Network Engineer
> Celox Communications Corp
>
> Fortune of the day:
> Boycott meat -- suck your thumb.
>
> --
> as the Subject.
begin:vcard
n:Hughes;Bret
tel;fax:918.587.0131
tel;work:918.587.0131
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.elevating.com
org:Elevating Communications Inc
adr:;;PO Box 1323;Tulsa;OK;74101-1323;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Chief Solutionist/President
x-mozilla-cpt:;19888