logrotate does the same thing.  Rats, shucks, and bummer dude.  I was
really hoping that this was going to work I guess I need to code the
java app to write to a log file and I will have to figure out how to
accept a signal to close and reopen the new file.  I guess I should have
known this was too easy.  I really would like to know what is going on
if anyone has any ideas.

Is there something I am doing incorrectly?  For what it is worth I am
running 2.2.5-22smp kernels from redhat on a compaq3000 with two 200MHz
pentium pros, 1GB RAM and a 5 drive raid 5 array.

BTW this seems really slow to execute the script. about 13 seconds with
or without the echos and redirecting output.

Bret

Bret Hughes wrote:

> Hmmm  Same deal.  Here is what I am doing.
>
> #testtime > numfile &
> #trunclog numfile
>
> here are the scripts:
>
> [bhughes@compaq2 bhughes]$ less testtime
> #! /bin/sh
> echo 'setting num to 0'
> i=1
> while [ $i -lt 2000 ] ; do
>
>   echo $i
>   i=`expr $i + 1`
> done
>
> [bhughes@compaq2 bhughes]$ less trunclog
> #! /bin/sh
> #  trunclog
> echo 'about to truncate' $1
> if [ -f $1 ]
> then
>   cp $1 $1.bak
> #  cat /dev/null > $1
>   echo >$1
> else
>   echo 'file not found'
> fi
>
> output of ls after running both files
>
> [bhughes@compaq2 bhughes]$ ls -l
> total 28
> -rw-rw-r--   1 bhughes  bhughes      8905 Jan 21 11:37 numfile
> -rw-rw-r--   1 bhughes  bhughes      8425 Jan 21 11:37 numfile.bak
> -rw-rw-r--   1 bhughes  bhughes        35 Jan 17 16:18 testfile
> -rwx------   1 bhughes  bhughes       104 Jan 20 11:24 testtime
> -rwx------   1 bhughes  bhughes       153 Jan 21 11:30 trunclog
>
> I run trunclog befor the background job is finished and after
> truncation, numfile has a whole shitload of @ symbols on the same line
> as the first number
>
> ls after removing all @s
>
> [bhughes@compaq2 bhughes]$ ls -l
> total 32
> -rw-rw-r--   1 bhughes  bhughes      8905 Jan 21 11:37 numfile
> -rw-rw-r--   1 bhughes  bhughes      8425 Jan 21 11:37 numfile.bak
> -rw-rw-r--   1 bhughes  bhughes       480 Jan 21 11:41 numfile.clean
> -rw-rw-r--   1 bhughes  bhughes        35 Jan 17 16:18 testfile
> -rwx------   1 bhughes  bhughes       104 Jan 20 11:24 testtime
> -rwx------   1 bhughes  bhughes       153 Jan 21 11:30 trunclog
>
> now that I look at it it looks like the file size is kept the same and
> padded with these @ symbols.  since the total of the clean file and the
> bak file equals the size of new numfile.
>
> Yep, just ran testtime all the way though without truncating and the
> size is indeed 8905.  shell must be keeping track of where it is writing
> on the disk and keeping going?  I don't pretend to know enough about
> what is happening but it is interesting.  I'll dig into the logrotate
> doc and see if I can fire off logrotate to truncate the file before it
> is finished.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Bret
>
> Tom Gilbert wrote:
> >
> > * Bret Hughes ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > > Good to know also.  I tried the cat /dev/null > logfile technique and
> > > while I did not loos any data there is about 4K or so of garbage at the
> [...]
begin:vcard
n:Hughes;Bret
tel;fax:918.587.0131
tel;work:918.587.0131
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.elevating.com
org:Elevating Communications Inc
adr:;;PO Box 1323;Tulsa;OK;74101-1323;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Chief Solutionist/President
x-mozilla-cpt:;19888