Charles,

I don't know how logrotate does, but this scheme would lose data if (on
a busy system) the process is actively writing to the log file in the
moment of the 'rotate' action.
>From the moment you have made a copy until you truncate the contents of
the file, a number of lines (and/or part of a line (shiver)) may have
been written to the log file. They would all get lost.

I repeat: I don't know how logrotate does it.

But I hope it's something more secure.

Best regards
Gustav

--
pgp = Pretty Good Privacy.

To get my public pgp key, send an e-mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Visit my web site at http://www.schaffter.com