Eric,
        I am trying to speed performace and rid my kernel of all the
excess carbage.  Usually I will make most parts modular that I only use
once in a while.  On the other hand I prefer buiding options like raid and
my scsi card directly into my kernel.  Just preference I guess.
        I just tried the new beta kernel as a last resort 2.3.40 to see if
that would make any difference.  I had raid and my adaptec build directly
(no modules) and it still didnt't work.
        I guess now I am just so pissed that even if I didn't benefit, I
just want to be able to do it.  Ever feel that way?
        Thanks for you help,
                Jake