On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, Danny wrote:

> The command is who username
>
> I hope that sufficently answered your question
>
> Looking forwad to your feedback
>
> dannyh
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Actually I believe the command is just "who".  It is supposed to show a
list of all users currently logged into the system.  If I try "who
username" it doesn't show anything but errors.

As per the manual page: "If given one non-option argument, who uses that
instead of /etc/utmp as the name of the file containing the record of
users logged on."  Another interesting piece of information from the man
pages is this: "/etc/wtmp is commonly given as an argument to who to look at
who has previously logged on", although it is not directly related to
Zaigui's problem I think.

In any case, perhaps the first thing he should do is check to make sure he
does have a /etc/utmp or /etc/wtmp file in his computer.  By the way, my
command is working just fine but I still cannot find those two files (I do
have /etc/wtmplock though, which is most likely places there while running
the "who" command I guess).  However, I do have a /var/log/wtmp file that
must provide the information.  Can anyone please help Zaigui and along the
way clarify how the command works?  Thanks a lot.

> On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, Zaigui Wang wrote:
> > I sent out this message sometime ago but did not get much response.
> > Someone on the list did point out that it has to do with the GNome
> > manager, but no remedy was suggested.
> >
> > Can anybody help please?

---------
Nitebirdz
---------
It's not too late to turn back from the "Gates" of Hell...
Linux: the free 32-bit operating system, available NOW.
Why waaaaaait for NT? (Brandon S. Allbery)