thanks Hal...I have Redhat 6.1 and did what you said and downloaded

http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/contrib/noarch/noarch/webfonts-1-3.noarch.html

installed the rpm ....changed the directory from webfonts to TrueType and
restarted X and then in Netscape..Edit | Preferences | Fonts I changed
Variable Width Font: Arial Monotype  [checked scaling]
Fixed Width Font: Courier Adobe [checked scaling]

looks a lot better than what I used to do..which probably wasn't that good
rpm -e XFree86-75dpi
rpm -ivh XFree86-100dpi*
or something like that...now only if I can find my cd with tons of nice Japanese
ttf I'll be stoked...I don't want to reinstall win98j just to get fonts.