On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 07:16:03AM -0700, CH wrote:
[...]
> Unless you have a computer with a huge power supply above 250w.  I have 350w
> and my system uses more power than my monitor.

Ahem... That statement is not quite correct. The power rating of the
supply has nothing to do with the *actual* consumption (thank be to
$DEITY, otherwise the whole thing would be majorly unefficient...). If
you have two PCs with the exact same hardware and under the same load
conditions, but one with a 150W supply and the other with a 250W supply,
both systems should use (more or less) the same amount of energy. If
not, one of the supplies is broken...
The ratings you get on the PC power supplies are the maximum rating on
what they can deliver, i.e. a 300W supply will be able to drive 300W
worth of equipment. However, you would still have to pay attention that
none of the different voltage supplies (+5V, +12V, -12V) is overloaded,
as the power rating is over all voltages.
The max. *input* consumption will be even higher than the 300W in this
case, as there are always losses within the supply.

HTH,

Thomas
--
             "Look, Ma, no obsolete quotes and plain text only!"

     Thomas Ribbrock | http://www.bigfoot.com/~kaytan | ICQ#: 15839919