On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 07:17:05PM -0700, CH wrote:
[...]
> That's true.  With larger parts in the supply may take a few watts more than
> smaller parts.  I know I am not using the full wattage since how the power
> supply is designed to use less power to make less power.  Similar applies to
> a standard transformer since if you short the secondary side you will notice
> major current draw on the primary side.

Precisely. (let the amps flow... ;-) )

> I just know that I am using alot since my 250W was getting real hot
> from all the drives I slap into my machine and 350W handles it
> perfectly even if I am only using about 75% of 350W.  I wonder if just
> adding a dual processor will bring it over 300W?  At least I have some
> reserve.:)

That should be easy enough to find out, though it does need a bit of
work: Simply get all the data sheets of your equipment (chances are all
of them are available online). Those datasheets will have informations
about the power consumption of the parts, so by adding up the whole lot,
you might get an estimate.
Or you could just hook up a couple of DVMs between the supply and the
components... ;-)

Cheerio,

Thomas
--
             "Look, Ma, no obsolete quotes and plain text only!"

     Thomas Ribbrock | http://www.bigfoot.com/~kaytan | ICQ#: 15839919