On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 04:10:25PM -0700, Hyung Kim wrote:
> Can anyone please tell me what the benefits are to
> leaving your computers on at all time.
[...]

I don't remember where I read this, but I once found a reasonable
sounding rule of thumb for home systems:

"If you intend to use the machine within the next four hours, leave it
 on."

That's basically how I handle it at home. Not all of my machines have
"green" functions (in fact, only one of my monitors has), and on those who
have I never got round to optimise their use (or to even set them up) -
especially not on the SCSI systems - somehow I never get the disks to
spin down <shrug>. So I usually switch the systems off when not in use,
as those "not in use periods" can be anything between 16h and several
days. So far (i.e. over the past 8 years), I have yet to have something
fail on me...
Though the day I'm able to get my hands on a PC with the noise level of
a C64 (i.e. none), I might leave the dial-up machine on... ;-)

Obviously, if you're looking at an office situation, things are a lot
different - the Sun workstations at work for example are never switched
off - just the monitors.

My EUR0.02,

Thomas
--
             "Look, Ma, no obsolete quotes and plain text only!"

     Thomas Ribbrock | http://www.bigfoot.com/~kaytan | ICQ#: 15839919