I have an old Dell with an adaptec SCSI controller, an old 4GB Seagate
drive, and a Seagate STT28000NS tape drive.  I need more space for the
backup process so I bought a cheap EIDE drive.  Well, even cheap drives
these days are huge; I got a 13.6 GB Western Digital.

When I install the drive the BIOS does not recognize it.  If I make the
BIOS recognize it, it gets recognized as hdc and the system won't boot
(presumably the BIOS insists on booting the IDE).  There is no bios setting
for "boot from SCSI first".

So, two questions:

Anyone know that I can or cannot boot the SCSI?  It wouldn't be the end of
the world to install Linux on the IDE and boot it...

However, I cannot get the WD to be recognized for all 13.6 GB.  I tried
many bios and jumper settings and all I ever get is 8.4 GB.  I guess I need
to get the BIOS to recognize all 13.6 in order to fdisk it, right?  Any ideas?

TIA!

-Alan Mead

---
Alan Mead, Ph.D.  /  Research Scientist  /  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Institute for Personality and Ability Testing
1801 Woodfield Dr  /  Savoy IL 61874 USA
217-352-4739 (v)  /  217-352-9674 (f)