Are you sure you have the IDE drive installed in the primary IDE slot ?

It will detect as hdc if it is the master in the secondary IDE slot.

I have always found you can use the boot sector of the IDE and have the root
partition (the whole system really) on the SCSI drive

Part of one of my lilo.confs

boot=/dev/hda
default=linux
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12-20
        label=linux
        root=/dev/sda1

Just make sure you have a boot disk that recognises SCSI handy when the IDE
dies :->

Just as an aside, I have not been able to get lilo to put the boot record on
the SCSI drive and have it boot. lilo complains that the SCSI drive is not
the first disk and then you get the dreaded "LI" boot problem. Anyone know
how to fix that?

Cheers

| Kevin Hancock                     |           ARCOMNET Pty Ltd         |
| Ph    : +61 8 8212 6900           |             167 Grote St           |
| Fax   : +61 8 8212 6134           |           ADELAIDE, S.Aust         |
| Email : [EMAIL PROTECTED]         |           Australia,  5000         |