John Aldrich wrote:

> My linux box at home is a dual-PPro motherboard (only uni-processor
> right now -- 2nd CPU died) with a built-in 10/100 Intel EtherExpress
> NIC.
> For some reason it has stopped seeing the network. My *guess* since I
> can ping the box from another machine is that somehow it got set to
> 100 Megabit-only from 10/100 (only have 10 Mbit network.)

I don't know for sure but I would be suprised if even ping would work if
there was a 10/100 MB confusion.

> The other wierdness is that it doesn't show a default gateway when I
> type "route" at the command line. However, my linux box here at work
> DOES show the default route. When I open up netcfg or linuxconf, it
> shows the default route just fine.

What is the purpose of this machine?  Is it your gateway/ firewall/ masq
box or just a workstation.  I don't think you need a default route if
there is only eth0 as an interface (i.e. workstation).  You will need a
gateway entry if you need to access the Internet though another box.  You
should see a net route for the network of the interface.  What does route
-n and ifconfig show?

What is the behavior that you are looking for that tells you that the
network is down?

if you can ping the box can you ping the other box from this one?

Any ipchains rules?   All these are where I would begin.

Bret