On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Bret Hughes wrote:
> What is the purpose of this machine?  Is it your gateway/ firewall/ masq
> box or just a workstation.  I don't think you need a default route if
> there is only eth0 as an interface (i.e. workstation).  You will need a
> gateway entry if you need to access the Internet though another box.  You
> should see a net route for the network of the interface.  What does route
> -n and ifconfig show?

Workstation. I access the "outside world" through a Netgear ISDN
router. I have a couple other machines on the LAN, one of which is
right next to the linux box on my desktop. I can ping the linux box
from the windows box and I can surf the 'Net through the Netgear on
the Windows box, but nothing works on the linux box.

> What is the behavior that you are looking for that tells
> you that the network is down?

Can't ping anything outside of my linux box. I try to ping the
Netgear and get no response. I try to ping my windows machine and
no response. Everything goes out, but nothing comes in.

> if you can ping the box can you ping the other box
> from this one?

Nope. It tries, but gets no response.

> Any ipchains rules?   All these are where I would begin.

I don't think so. I vaguely recall setting up an ipchains rule to
block the IP of the primary web banner-ad company, but I don't recall
if I set it up to be automagically started or not. In any event, that
shouldn't affect my internal network (192.168.0.x addressing NAT-ed
behind the Netgear ISDN router.) I was thinking there was a problem
with the Netgear until I was able to ping it and surf through it to
the 'Net from the Windows machine.

I don't know what route -n says, haven't checked that yet, but on my
AMD k6 box here at work, "route" by itself shows the existing routes.
Ifconfig eth0 shows the "normal" stuff, as I recall. I don't have
that machine set up and hooked up to a monitor at the moment...
Hoping someone can recognize the symptoms. Is it my other CPU flaking
out on me (had a problem booting when I had the dead CPU in the
system... it looked like a bad hard drive, so I'm wondering if a
"flaky network" might be caused by a dying processor....)