>He should be able to ping the local windows boxes without the
default
>route right?

yes, he should be able to if

>Of course this assumes the route exist for the interface
>and the "local" network.

he had the 192.168.1.0 entry in the tables.

>The default would only be used if a host not in
>the local net was accessed.  Then the default route with the
address of
>the router as the gateway would be needed.  I figure that there is
>something else going on if he cannot see the local net boxes.

However, the reason I mention this is because usually when things
dissappear from the routing table none of it works. A reboot or
rebuild of the routing table may solve the problem. Also, make sure
that you ping the card itself. And take a look at ifconfig.