I know this sounds obvious - but is the physical network working? Do you have link
lights on your network cards on?

Then - the hosts file in Windows is in C:\WINDOWS\hosts - no extension, just hosts.
Probably not one there already.

You can't ping either box from either box? Using ping <ipaddress> or ping <hostname>?

hosts.deny is in /etc/hosts.deny; hosts.allow is in /etc/hosts.allow on your linux box.

As far as internet connection sharing on the Windows box, I've used the Internet
Connection Sharing built in to my version of Win 98 - but it might be just the second
edition. I really didn't have any trouble setting it up - the windows box was
192.168.0.1 and the linux box was 192.168.0.2 just like yours. When the modem was
dialed in, and the linux gateway set to 192.168.0.1, everything was available via the
linux box. (Although I did have to set nameservers on the linux box). Also, I do
remember that I had to restart Windows several times after installing this stuff to
get Windows to work with its ip address.

dunno if any of this will help...

-Dusty.

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 08/24/00 10:29AM >>>
I do not have a hosts file setup on the windows box.  Where would I put it?  I did not
realize
windows knew how to use a hosts file...  :)

Yes, networking it started.  I'm not at home right now, but I have run ifconfig and it
showed both
the 'eth0' and 'lo' interfaces.

I am not familiar with hosts.deny - where does that sit?  I'm assuming that since I
haven't
touched that file at all that would not be a problem...

Jason