On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, UK Jaiswal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have to install one Web-mail interface like hotmail where users of
> multiple domains can log in and check their mail. This is required where
> :
> # an organisation has assigned its 3-4 departments different domains/
> sub-domains
> # it is using a single mail-server for all the domains/ departments.
>
> I guess it is better to use exim (as it supports virtual domains) and
> cyrus-imapd (as it does not need users to be created on the system).
> I hear that imp is good for the web-mail interface but I understand that
> it does not support multiple, virtual domains.

I've recently been through installing the following: qmail + vmailmgr +
Courier IMAP + omail-admin + <IMAP Web client of choice>

The combination of Courier and vmailmgr allows virtual domains, complete
with unique usernames per domain (user@domain1 and user@domain2 are 2
seperate boxes). And qmail is a great piece of software. The omail-admin
piece gives a web-based administration for all the email accounts, very
handy.

Start at www.qmail.org.

Later,

Bill Carlson