On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Kris Keele wrote:

> When running a dns server on a subnet what is the best practice for
> setting up reverse? I have the ip range delegated to me from my
> provider, but am having some issues with the dns server picking it up.
> Here is what I have: ( I am using real ips, but the example has fakes)

Hi Kris:
I'm not a DNS expert, though I do run my company's name servers. Since no
one else has replied, I'll give it a try.

What you may (or may not) be missing is that the individual hostmaster
can't get the reverse DNS working alone. You need to contact your upstream
provider (e.g. your ISP) and collaborate with them to get a reverse
mapping.

I've worked with two upstream providers and they both were reasonably
clueful when I told tham what I wanted.

Hope this helps.
-burk

Linux File Managers: http://www.pobox.com/~burk/linuxfile.html