This probably won't help much (any?) but this machine I am running is
hooked up via DSL to Southwestern Bell. I didn't order a static ip
address; I get a DHCP address every time I log in with the DSL. Here's
what I did to set up - maybe somebody can enlighten me as to what is
happening behind the scenes.

1.) I have a NIC in my Win machine. Hook the DSL modem directly up to that
NIC, log in using SWBells provided software, and get a user name and
password.
2.) Decide that I would like to route through my linux machine, so I
install the (Kingston?) NIC that came from SW Bell into my Linux machine,
in addition to the NIC (Netgear) that was already there. Now, the Netgear
NIC hooks directly up to the Win nic via a crossover cable.
3.) Downloaded PPPoE software from www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/, since
the Win software said that it was doing ppp over ethernet. Hooked the DSL
modem up directly to the new (eth1) NIC on linux, installed and set up the
PPPoE stuff from roaring penguin.
4.) Run adsl-start, and Wow! Fast internet connection. Made some routing
changes so that Win can get to the net.

So that's my story - again, it was really easy. (So if anybody has any
idea what happened behind the scenes, I would appreciate comments.)

-Dusty deBoer