On 31-Aug-00 Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
>               Hello Greg,
>
>> for my money, though, yamaha makes a pretty good drive (and HP and phillips
>> don't)
>
>  I tend to agree on HP, although this is just based on one bad experience
> (with a probably "overused" HP7100), but what is wrong with Philips writers?

you mean, for example, what's wrong w/ the philips cdd2000 or cdd2600 recorders
for which there is a class action suit (http://www.cdrecorderclassnotice.com/) ?

As I understand it, the recorder was built w/ a spring that did not have enough
tension to move the laser to the end of the disc.

as for the "over used HP7100" you have. I have a HP that no longer writes, this
after less than 200 cd's, yet my yamaha is still going strong after close to
1000 (I use if for backup - raw media is cheaper than tape, and I have more
faith in being able to read the cd's later, than I do in dds tapes...) Note
that Yamaha is not the only good drive out there (alot of people like Plextor),
but there seems to be an unfortunate abundance of inferior ones.

-Greg

E-Mail: Gregory Hosler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 31-Aug-00
Time: 08:31:58

        If Bill Gates had a dime for every time a Windows box crashed...
             ...Oh, wait a minute, he already does.