I consulted the list too on this issue...

I eventually went with the Yamaha... if there's a Fry's Electronics where you are
check them out...

I  managed to pick up and 8x8x24 4mb IDE version for $199.00

I have owned both hp and phillips before and have had poor performance from them.

I eventually went to an Acer model but got rid of that as well. The Yamaha seems
to be doing its job great and so far I haven't lost a cd yet...

my 2 cents...

Ahbaid.