They got Linux on like everything no adays. Yes it is possible. Warning,
though: The kernel must be compiled on the machine where it's going to
run.. ehhh.. for the most part.. we're talking like.. you could use a
pre-comp'd one like RH, etc has.. but it'll be lacking. The kernel source
(untar'd) is large.. we're talking prolly 60+ MB.

etc etc etc

Long story short.. you can do it, sure.. but good luck with the setup :)

try lookin around for info on how to put it on an older box. You'll be
doing most the work yourself and without the help of an installer
prolly... there really isn't too much to it, though... you'll need to get
some tools on a floppy to build the partition tables and filesystems and
what have you.

I'm sure others in the list will offer their comments as well :)

On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Jerry Human wrote:

> I know you guys are going to have a field day with this one but I have a
> need.
> Is it possible to install just enough Linux (not necessarily RH) to boot
> an old 386 laptop and the C++ compiler with the bare minimum libs on a
> 20 meg hard drive? The only /dev needed would be for the LCD screen,
> built in keyboard, the hard drive, a built in 1.44 floppy and ttyS1. I
> want to learn C++ and need to be able to do the exercises.
>
> Thank you.

-Statux