Hi Thomas and Jerry,

> I have an old 386 with RH3.3 installed on it (that was my 1st RH install)...
> It is using up about 300M, as I recall, & it's pretty stripped down...  I
> think the GNU compiler & libs takes up about 20M on its own...

 A minimal 6.2 install amounts to about 120MB (no categories selected at all,
but no packages deleted). Just adding a few packages (smb-client, and some
TCP/IP tools) will use about 150MB. You could run a firewall from a 250MB hd,
but if you want to install gcc and libs as well this will probably not
suffice, because you probably also want some swap space, and the installation
requires more space than the final system.
 Of course you could strip down the system by hand, but I think the effort is
not worth the cost of a 500MB hd. Unless you see it as an exercis of course.
Anyway, running a development system on a 20MB hd is out of the question.

                                        Bye,

                                        Leonard.