On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 01:54:50PM -0400, Rob Hardowa wrote:
> Just a quick note...
>
> It's been a long time since I studied compilers, and a brief time at that,
> so I'm not really qualified to give you any information other than an
> opinion....so I offer this...
>
> A standard user space program that only uses regular C library functions
> should not require the kernel headers to be installed, because the
> information it requires should have been linked into the compiler.
> If you are installing a new compiler, the kernel headers (at the least)
> should need to be installed in order to obtain certain system defined
> headers.

There is a small portion of this already supported by gcc.  It keeps
knowledge of some platform specific details in
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/'platform'/'compiler-verson'/include

Under Linux, the rest of the information contained in the kernel
header files which user space programs might find useful is actually
handled by the C library header files (at least this is true for
glibc).  The header files bundled in glibc-devel provide 'wrappers'
for the data defined in the kernel headers so that they never need to
be included directly.

--
Steve Borho                       Voice:  314-439-8342
Member of Technical Staff