Here's something you could try.  From the command prompt:

echo -n <machinename> > /etc/HOSTNAME
Replace <machinename> with the machine name.  NOT the entire domain name.
For example, if your canonical name is zeta.webhost.com, use zeta.

Then:

echo -n <domainname> > /etc/defaultdomain
Replace <domainname> with the entire domain, zeta.webhost.com

That will set up your machine with it's canonical name.

Now you need to go into the Pine configuration files to tell it what your
default domain is.  From the main Pine page enter "s" to choose "setup",
then "c" to choose "configuration".  Fill out the data there, and your
mail will reflect your username@domain based on the domain name you enter.
You can modify Pine to show other email addresses from the "Roles"
configuration section.

Jonathan, wish I could help more (if I've helped at all!), but I'm leaving
for Boston tomorrow and won't be back for a week.

Good luck!

Glen