On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Jonathan Wilson wrote:

>I'm starting to feel uneducated ;-)

Jonathan,

Linux will humble you.  It allows you to pretty much do with it what you
want, but it expects you to be able to tell it how to do it in a way that
it understands.

My /etc/hosts file, which includes my LAN machines and aliases for the
Linux hub, reads:

$ less /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
192.168.2.10    glenlee.falcon.lan
192.168.2.11    jan.falcon.lan     jan
192.168.2.12    glen.falcon.lan    glen
10.0.0.2        glenlee.citilink.com    glenlee

To get the "From: " field to change to something more reasonable you need
to modify the Pine configuration file.

To get sendmail to show your correct host information you need to modify
the files I mentioned in my last post to this thread.

When Sendmail receives your letter from Pine, it will append the following
line to the header (or something similar):

        by glenlee.citilink.com (8.9.3/8.9.3) with ESMTP id JAA02140
        for <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; Sat, 16 Sep 2000 09:07:49 -0500

Note that "glenlee@localhost" will be your username at "localhost".  The
next line, "by glenlee.citilink.com..." will be your machine name as found
in /etc/defaultdomain.

The rest of the header information will contain what mail machines the
letter passed through en route to the destination.

>ok, so it's "correct". Well, I don't really like that - I want it to show
>the real deal, I.E. [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You either have to change this from the Pine configuration file (or
whatever email program you're going to use), or use envelope masquerading.
Note that if you use envelope masquerading (you have to modify the
Sendmail configuration file to do this), you're locked into 1 and only 1
email address.  Modifying Pine allows you to show whatever From: email
address you need.

>What do I need to do to send that?
>here's my /etc/hosts (with sensitive info blocked out):
>
>127.0.0.1       original-hostname-not-in-dns        localhost.localdomain
>localhost
>123.123.123.123  FQDN-in-dns      current-hostname-in-dns
>
>Obviously, with a real IP and real names.
>
>Should I change that localhost.localdomain in 127.0.0.1 to our real FQDN ?

No.  Modifying /etc/hosts won't affect what you need to change.

Good luck!

Glen