On Sun, Sep 24, 2000 at 03:44:40PM -0400, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Sep 2000, Steven W. Orr wrote:
> > If you have a cable modem, do *not* use pump. Use dhcpcd or
> > dhcp-client. Pump is the wrong thing to use. When a lease expires, pump
> > just aborts. It will not renegotiate a new lease for you. The result is
> > that your ip address will change every few days when you have to erstart
> > pump.

> IIRC, isn't there a special setup for cable modems that you
> can download?? If you look for "roadrunner" in the
> archives you should be able to find what I'm talking about.

        I just don't know...  Mine is running great (RoadRunner on MediaOne
errr... AT&T Global) with either plain old pump or dhcpcd.  It came up,
first shot, in the blink of an eye.  Installer is trying to tell me that
they don't support Linux and I'm telling him "no shit Shirlock, looks like
there is nothing here that needs support."  I had given him the MAC
address and told him to call it in.  Like a good little installer, he
actually did what I asked him to do, and it JUST #@!$#@! WORKED.  Imagine
that!

        My only problem is I have one of those HIGHLY UNUSUAL situations
where I DO NOT want the default route to go out the cable modem (I have
4 BRI ISDN lines for high reliablity stuff) and I can't figure out a way
to keep pump or dhcpcd from installing a default route.

>       John

        Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/