On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Fred Edmister wrote:

>       I have a semi urgent question.  I was just given a larger block of IP
> addresses, and the catch is, they are on different subnets.  I've tried
> adding a second gateway to the server, and it does not work.  I can't ping
> anything, and cant get to it from any other systems on my network.  Also,
> another issue is someone from the outside being able to hit these IPs as
> they are used for web hosting.  Does anyone have any suggestions??  Also,
> (I know, I'm gonna say a bad word.. )  I added the gateway in my windows
> server, and it seems ok in there.  (locally anyway... I'm still trying to
> figure out if the outside world can see it... )  Any thoughts??  Any
> assistance will be great!
>
> (and before anyone asks... I don't have a router... so that configuration
> is out for now.. )
>
>       Fred

I don't think another gateway is what you need, onless you have to go
through a different machine to get to the other networks.  What you need
to do is add a route to each subnet, so the machines know what interface
to use for each subnet.  To do it manualy, try:

route add -net subnet netmask interface

To add subnet 192.168.7.0-192.168.7.127, you would use
route add -net 192.168.7.0 255.255.255.128 eth0

After you have thing working the way you want, you can add the routes to
/etc/sysconfig/static-routes.  If you just want to add the routes to the
machine that you have listed as a gateway for the rest of the network, it
will still work, but will add overhead to the gateway, as every packet for
the new subnets will have to pass through it.  (This assumes you have the
gateway machine set up to forward ethernet trafic, and have the firewall
rules set up correctly.)

Mikkel