On Sat, 16 Dec 2000, Bill Anderson wrote:

> Bret Hughes wrote:
> >
> > Bill Anderson wrote:
> > > Or my favorite:
> > > rm -rf .*
> > > thinking it will remove the current directory OR all the dotfiles in the
> > > current directory ... and are root.
> > >
> > >:)
> >
> > I assume this will delete everything from the parent directory down?  at least ls
>.* appears to return the .. dir as well.  hmm pretty scary.
>
> It will limb it's way back up the tree to /.
>
> I've seen it.

  i doubt that, since that's *not* what it does.  and i should know --
i just tried it.  as root:

# pwd
/tmp/d/e
# rm -rf .*
rm: cannot remove '.' or '..'
rm: cannot remove '.' or '..'

  this is under red hat 7.  perhaps there was a different behaviour
under previous versions?  anyone else care to comment?

rday