Me> While we're bitching about rm, anyone know how to fix its prompting behaviour?

Man do I feel silly now. Thanks guys.

On Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 10:04:45PM -0600, Bret Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| > I believe you are just being affected by Redhat's decision to make sure only
| > experienced users can delete files without prompting. I think this was an
| > acceptable, but annoying, decision, since they were trying to get WinXX people
| > to move over to Linux and those people would not understand that there is no
| > recovery from that operation, having been used to the recycle bin.
| > It is just an alias in the /etc/bashrc and/or /root/.bashrc
| > rm='rm -i'
[...]
| I vacilate whether this is a good thing or not.  Currently I don't like it since it
| can allow a user (me) to get use to it and then get on another box that may not have
| the alias set and delete a whole bunch of stuff accidentally.  It has saved my bacon
| from stupidity before though so....

Ah. I learnt Many Years Ago that the proverbial "single keystroke
error" for sysadmins is pressing return. It's now reflex to think "does
that line really make sense?" just before pressing return. That's saved
my bacon many times. Not always of course, but it's helped a lot.

One thing I have done in my own shell setup is alias (well, shell
function, but the idea's the same) rm, cp, chmod, chown, chgrp and a
couple of others to an equivalent of

        ( set -x; rm ${1+"$@"}; )

i.e. I get to see the results of my shell expansion for these important
operations. Occasionally it alerts me to some stupid error in time to
hit interrupt, and anyway leaves some info around for recovery if it's
too fast.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

George, discussing a patent and prior art:
"Look, this  publication has a date, the patent has a priority date,
can't you just compare them?"
Paul Sutcliffe:
"Not unless you're a lawyer."