On Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 02:34:11AM -0600, David Talkington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
| >If I leave off the -f flag GNU rm seems to ask about _every_ bloody
| >file. This makes it so close to useless that one must use -f all the
| >time. Which is VERY VERY BAD, because it makes habitual the "don't do
| >any sanity checks at all" mode. Dangerous in the extreme.
|
| On Red Hat, by default:
| # alias rm
| alias rm='rm -i'
|
| It's set in .bashrc.  Just get rid of the alias, and you won't get
| "interactive".
|
| 'Zat help?

Doh! Indeed it does. For the record, I normally don't use bash (I use
another Bourne shell), so I expect to be free of RedHat's excess zeal
(coloured ls - bleah!) Just checked here (a linux box) and my normal
environment doesn't display this behaviour; but root on said box does.
So yes, you're quite right - it's not GNU's rm at all, it's RedHat.

Thanks!
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

Number of people in the workforce per Social Security beneficiary...
in 1949: 13
in 1990: 3.4
in 2030: 1.9