On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, christopher j bottaro wrote:

> hello.
>
> i've read some posts about this on the internet and still can't make sense of
> this.  i have lilo 21.6 and redhat 6.2.  my first hd (/dev/hda) is all for
> linux.  my second hd (/dev/hdb) is all for windows.  here is the lilo.conf i
> use...
>
> # LILO configuration created by QuickInst 21  Wed Dec 27 01:32:36
> /etc/localtime 2000
>
> boot = /dev/hda
> compact
> delay = 5     # optional, for systems that boot very quickly
> vga = normal  # force sane state
> root = current        # use "current" root
> image = /boot/vmlinuz
>   label = linux
> other = /dev/hdb1
>   table = /dev/hdb
>   loader = /boot/chain.b
>   label = win32
>
> at first, under other, i had "loader = /boot/any_d.b" but lilo was
> complaining about not finding it, so i changed it to "loader = /boot/chain.b"
> and now when i try to boot win32, its just sits there and does nothing.
>
> i've read posts that say its impossible, and others that say you gotta do
> such and such, and i've tried their suggestions with no success.  any
> comments or suggestions?  thanks a ton for your help...
>
> dangit, accually, i just thought of something that might be causing it to
> mess up.  on my second hd, i have windows >and< linux (i've been mounting my
> linux partition (on hdb) to copy files).  the mbr (of hdb) has lilo in it
> that dual boots win98 and linux.  so is lilo (on the mbr on hda) trying to
> boot off of hdb and running into lilo again on the mbr of hdb?  if so, how do
> i erase the mbr of my second hd without wiping out the mbr of my 1st hd
> (knowing my luck, thats prolly what will happen).
>
> thanks a ton.
> christopher

Chris,
        The problem is that Windows expects to be on the first hard drive,
and will not boot off the second drive.  But all is not lost.  LILO know
how to fool Windows.  This is covered in the LILO docs.  Try something
like this for your Windows entry:

other = /dev/hdb1
  label = win32
  map-drive = 0x80