On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Nitebirdz wrote:

> By the way, did Red Hat ever consider to make it easier for the Red Hat users
> to download and install the development or unstable branch (Rawhide)?  Did you
> guys ever consider creating a stable and unstable branch of a source code
> repository?  I've met quite a few intermediate and advanced Red Hat users
> who would like something like that so they can test the development distro
> and even provide feedback to the developers.

Trond can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but...

The development branch isn't set up to be any sort of distribution...you
download and install these packages the same way you'd do so for any other
updates.

That having been said, they already do have these things separated out as
stable and unstable...when you ftp to their site, there's the "redhat"
directory, which contains the "stable" apps for every current
distribution, and the rawhide directory, which contains the "unstable"
apps.

In all fairness to RedHat, given the rapid development cycle, to expect
them to package up a full distribution, perhaps even creating an ISO
image, each time a something changes in the rawhide repository, is unfair
and, IMNSHO, ridiculous.