Dells seem to work well...my Latitude CPi 266 is running RH7, out of the
box, and it easily recognized my 3Com 3c575 NIC and Megahertz 56K
modem...both PCMCIA.

There are ways to get Winmodems to work, but in my opinion, and the
considered opinion of most folks in the know, you're much better off with
an actual hardware modem.