I have a script in my start up that goes through a list of IPs for which
I'm aliasing, and uses "ifconfig alias" for eth0:0 thru eth0:15 (I happen
to have 16 virtual IPs running on the box. <G>).

It looks like this:

#!/bin/bash

names="ip.address.1.here ip.address.2.here ip.address.3.here"

count=0

if [ "$1" = "stop" ]; then
  for addr in $names
  do
        /sbin/route del $addr
        /sbin/ifconfig eth0:$count- $addr
        let count=$count+1
  done
elif [ "$1" = "start" -o "$1" = "" ]; then
  for addr in $names
  do
        /sbin/ifconfig eth0:$count $addr netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx broadcast
yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy
        /sbin/route add -host $addr dev eth0:$count
        let count=$count+1
  done
else
  echo 'Usage: '$0' [start|stop]'
fi

Note that for whatever reason, the stop optoin doesn't actually appear to
do anything. <shrug>