On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 02:18:59PM -0700, doug piper wrote:
> I have attempted to set up sendmail, I have attempted to set up
> fetchmail and I have tried to use Netscape. Nothing so far gets me my
> email so I am forced to reboot into windows, use my Mac, or use another
> Windows machine.
>
> Where do I start. (I have read everything that I can get my hands on but
> have had not had a breakthrough.) There is nothing exotic about the
> server I get my mail from and I have no problems with either Mac or
> Windows.

First, you'll need to decide on an email client. Whatever one you want
to use is up to you. Whichever one you choose, make sure you read the
man page, and maybe do some searching on how to configure it to do what
you want. Make sure /var/spool/mail/yourUsername exists. If not, become
root and do: touch /var/spool/mail/yourUsername. Change the owner and
group to you (not root) and chmod 660.

Next you'll need to set up fetchmail. Put this in ~/.fetchmailrc:

poll your.mailserver.com proto pop3 user yourUsername pass yourPassword

... and start by typing fetchmail.

Sendmail can be a pain to configure if you've never done it before, but
don't be scared off by it. It's still the best MTA out there, I believe.
This is where we need to know if you're on dial-up or not. When you
answer back, I can tell you how to set up sendmail, or at least point
you in the right direction.

HTH,

--
Mike Irwin