Ben said:

        Well, glad to hear I'm not alone. But what on earth could be wrong with
        this? So, you don't think it's a hardware problem, then? Or, maybe the isos
        were corrupted? Makes a fella appreciate Gates :-}
        BenO

Hang on in there Ben, it will start to make some sense eventually. When it
gets to 'blow a gasket' stage take the advice from the Samba How-to's and go
have a coffee or 12 and then come back to it.

Seriously though search out as many newsgroups as you can, especially those
that deal with the specifics of your system. I even found one for the
particular dial-up account I have.

Success for this weekend has been the Ip-tables and getting Samba doing
something about correct. When it goes right it makes you feel good.

Alex