Hidong Kim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I can't upgrade my Red Hat 6.2 machine to 7.1 or 7.2.  I have factory
> 7.1 CDs, and 7.2 CDs I burned myself.  I've used the 7.2 CDs to upgrade
> two other 7.1 machines.  But on this 6.2 machine, the 7.2 CDs aren't
> even recognized as Red Hat CDs.

1) Try the bootoption nodma. This addresses one category of broken
   hardware
2) Another category are the players which can't read CD-Rs (mostly DVD
   players or very old/cheap CD players). Buying the official CDs
   would work for these (and of course, you also get install support
   then and help pay for development).

> The 7.1 CD crashes when I try to do a graphical install with an
> error message about GRUB.

7.1 doesn't know about, or use, GRUB.

> If I try to install
> 7.1 in text mode, the installation dies during the copying of the
> install image to disk with an error message about not enough disk
> space.  I have over 2 MB free space on the root partition of this
> machine.  How much space do I need?

2 MB is _nothing_, it's just about a floppy disk. I'd recommend at
least 50.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.