On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 06:32:46PM -0500, Gerry Doris wrote:
> I'm not sure I buy the part about not wanting a bad reputation.  Sophos
> have virtually no reputation in North America as it is.

Don't want to GET a bad rep.  And also recall this is a sales droid (albeit
a friendly one.)

> Besides, there
> can't be that many people running home mail servers and those likely have
> propellers on their heads!  Surely they could load a virus package
> properly without help.

He claimed they just don't want to go there.

> Besides, techies running mailservers on their home networks probably have
> some influence on what is used at the companies where they work.
> Providing the package for free or a modest amount to cover admin costs
> might actually get Sophos more corporate contracts.  Afterall, the people
> who administer systems are more comfortable with packages they know and
> use.

Hey, you're preaching to the choir; tell it to Sophos.

> I tried out MailScanner using Sophos last week.  Installing consisted of
> untarring Sophos, running the MailScanner rpm, and them running the Sophos
> install command.  I took less than 5 mins.  This is on a standard RH 7.1
> system.  I also tried it on a 7.2 system too.

And I've tried it on a 6.2 system.  Works well so far.

> Also, if Sophos were really concerned about all the home freebies using up
> support time they could just set up a mailing list for those without
> support contracts.  Everyone else does that...we're on one now!!!

Again, don't tell me, tell Sophos.  Their representative claims they just
don't want to even open that box.

I just got E-mail from another contact there, clearly triggered from my
download of the 30-day eval software.  This one claims it's $150/year,
and on up for a 2- and 3-year contract.  I don't know if he realized
it was a Linux/Unix license, nor is he quoting for other workstations.
I expect he'd be back up to the $500 level if he knew it was scanning
mail on the system for other workstations.

Cheers,
--
        Dave Ihnat