On Mon, 2001-12-17 at 23:27, Stephen Liu wrote:

> One additional question I expect to ask, in my case, whether it is
> advisable to apply RAID to build the Web Server simultaneously because the
> configuration of Apache, PHP, MySQL will keep me quite busy (I did it once
> in 2 years ago).   Is RAID difficult to set up ?  Which RAID, RAID 0+1,
> RAID 5, etc. shall be more applicable to my case ?

RAID 0 is striping and is used *only* for performance reasons.  If you
don't think you'll need the additional performance, don't use it.  You
will lose redundancy in favor of the performance.  If either drive
fails, you lose your data.

RAID 1 is mirroring.  When you do your initial Red Hat Linux 7.2
install, you can configure this, and it's easy - it's well documented in
the Installation Guide and takes an extra 5 or 10 minutes to set up, and
then it just runs without you having to do anything else.  It's what I
run at home.

RAID 5 is striping + mirroring.  I recommend that this not be done on
IDE drives unless you've invested in extra controllers.  You need at
least 3 drives to make a RAID 5 set.

RAID 0+1 will give you the highest performance at the expense of the
most drives.

For a home system, RAID 1 is no longer out of the reach of the average
PC purchaser.  I added 2 40GB ATA100 drives on the Promise TX2
controller for about $240.  I mirror the first 10GB of data so that
leaves me 70GB of usuable space.  That's a lot of disk space for not a
lot of money.  A few years ago, this would have been prohibitively
expensive.  Naturally, I still do backups of my data (to hard drives,
not tape).

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]