Hi,

Thanks for your detail information.

At 06:40 AM 12/18/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>RAID 5 is striping + mirroring.  I recommend that this not be done on
>IDE drives unless you've invested in extra controllers.  You need at
>least 3 drives to make a RAID 5 set.

Whether a special controller with 3 channels for connecting 3 hard discs is
needed ?
Or you need 3/5 controllers for 3/5 hard discs ?
What kind of controller it is ?

>RAID 0+1 will give you the highest performance at the expense of the
>most drives.

Is RAID 0+1 similar to RAID 5 in function/performance ?
Whether its controller has 4 channels for connnecting 4 hard discs
Can I use only 2 hard discs with partitions for RAID 0+1 instead of 4 hard
discs ?

>For a home system, RAID 1 is no longer out of the reach of the average
>PC purchaser.  I added 2 40GB ATA100 drives on the Promise TX2
>controller for about $240.  I mirror the first 10GB of data so that
>leaves me 70GB of usuable space.

To my understanding you use the second hard disc for mirroring.  What are
you going to do with 30G partition on the first hard disc ?

Are you using the primary/secondary channel of your motherboard to connect
a hard disc for backup ?

Thanks

B.R.
Stephen