rpjday <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> not that i want to flog this any further (well, ok, that's exactly
> what i want to do), but if red hat's complaint is that they're
> having to deal with people who purchased red hat elsewhere and
> tell them they have no official support, what about everyone
> who downloads red hat linux *directly from red hat's site*????

When you do that, you're pretty much aware of you're doing. You
haven't given anyone any money. If you have, you're much more likely
to expect something.

Personally (not speaking for Red Hat), I see less problems with
Cheapbytes etc[1] than with OEMs. If you pay a good chunk of money for
something of which Red Hat Linux is a part, the name is meant to
symbolize QA, docs, support etc, not just "foo downloaded something from
their ftp site and used their brand name to sell something of which
they got nothing".

[1] They should just contact us. If we have a contract, we've
    protected our trademark and can thus be happy.
--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.